Sunday, March 29, 2009

HAMMER

My dad was a roofing contractor. Growing up he use to say, "A hammer fixes everything." And in his profession he was more often right than wrong. In the environment of laptops, blackberries, iPods and other such tools...a hammer is not as useful, that is if you think of hammer in the traditional sense.

What I have come to realize is that every generation has its hammer. With computers it is "ctrl-alt-delete." Or if it gets really frustrating you pull out the sledgehammer of our age...unplug, yank the battery and reboot. This almost always "fixes everything."

The same 'hammer' concept seems to work in the making of movies. I viewed Knowing this week-end. It was an excellent movie. Kept me on the edge of my seat. But then came the ending. It was a movie that had one of the weakest endings I have ever seen. It seemed that they weren't sure what to do, so they pulled out the "hammer." I don' want to give the movie away, but suffice it to say when you don't know how to end a movie it seems you throw in a UFO or catastrophic event...or both! If I would have had a hammer I would have thrown it at the screen.

3 comments:

Scott and Ashley said...

I'm picturing you throwing a hammer at the big screen, very funny!I am the same way with movie endings, we rented 2 movies the other night and BOTH of the endings were the same, the director must not have known what to do and just "unplugged" or "hammered" it....it was very dissapointing.
Scott and I are excited to see you in a few weeks!
-Ashley

Scott and Ashley said...

Hammer time...

Pastor Al said...

Hey Phil...

Slowly I am learning this principle in preaching. The big idea has to come on strong in the end or...it's what's the point time.

Thanks for your passion for communicating the Lord Jesus Christ.

Got you on my favorite blog list!